Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Magnetic glove Tot school tool

Love Bug has a little addiction. She HAS to play with magnets EVERY DAY!!
Magnets are Love Bug's go-to activity, her first choice every day!
I honestly think we are all a bit "attracted" to magnets.

So I got to thinking about magnets and how much fun they are. I thought having a glove that was magnetic would be pretty fabulous. So I did a little search online and came up with two that were kinda what I was looking for. One was a pair of dive gloves for kids, the other was a pair of gloves for working on cars etc---meant for man-size hands. Neither really fit the bill.

So of course, I MADE one that was just what we were looking for!!

Total cost: $3.65 for 1 glove.
I didn't want a pair, because Love Bug is little and magnets are pretty powerful. She will need a hand to help put things on and pull things off of her "magic" hand (as she calls it).

I bought the supplies yesterday and Love Bug and I got right to them this morning.
We headed up to our craft/play room and got busy. (side note....how is this view from my window for creative inspiration??)
What you'll need:

3 Extra powerful magnets- available at Walmart, Michael's, etc.
1 pair of kid-sized knit gloves- Walmart, Target, etc.
Glue gun
Sewing machine/thread (or you can hand sew)
Turn gloves inside-out.
Put a spot of hot glue on the thumb.
 I learned it was better to put my finger in the glove before adding the glue so it wouldn't go through and stick to the backside of the glove as well.
Repeat with middle finger and pinkie. You can put them on all the fingers, but I would recommend doing that with less powerful magnets or only doing that for an older child.
Love Bug couldn't keep her fingers apart to use them when I had them on all the fingers.
Turn the glove outside out. Place the other glove (inside out) inside the glove making sure that the fingers are in all the way.
Sew the bottoms of the two gloves together. You'll want to stretch a bit as you sew so the knit can stretch when hands get put in.


Being sure that each finger of the inside glove is all the way at the top of the outside glove, make a few small stitches at the very top of each finger. This will keep the fingers together.

Now, if you have a righty, keep the glove as it is. If you have a lefty, turn the whole thing inside out.
Ready for the fun??
Place an assortment of metal objects in a bin and let your tot explore. I found most of my items in my kitchen "junk drawer" (see-- I really need to be cleaning my house about now).
  


Love Bug and I wandered through the house seeing what she could touch with her magic hand that would stick. She learned that the wood chairs don't work, but the metal one does. She also learned that while the front door makes her "hand sticky", the closet doors do not. She tried the walls, but nothing happened. When she tried a different wall, I told her that we already tried the walls, didn't we? But she happened upon a corner....and of course it stuck where the metal strip in on the corner. I got the most "you have no idea what you are talking about" look from her yet!

One thing I love about this idea is that you can also use it with little ones that are too young to use magnets otherwise for fear they might swallow them. You could put them in mittens instead if you don't want to fuss with fingers. Just put the two mittens together in the same fashion. I would stitch around the magnet to keep it in place.
Hope you have happy magnetic adventures too!!

1 comment:

  1. What a cool idea! Thanks for sharing.

    Popping in from Tot School.

    ReplyDelete